lunes, 19 de diciembre de 2011

Why Martha Lane Fox is unacceptable and terrifying and why I would like to be excluded from paying any of her wages

Here is the headline:

EU digital exclusion is 'unacceptable'.

The clear implication of the quotes in that headline is that whereas the person being reported doing the talking indeed said "unacceptable", that doesn't mean that the word makes much sense, and in fact it is probably rather ridiculous. Quite so.

But to me the word "exclusion" is at least as much deserving of sneer quotes.

I do not have a car, a smart phone, a garden, a hi-fi system that would enable me to get full sonic value from the quite numerous classical SACDs that I have acquired over the years, a cat, a Kindle, a wife, an exercise bike, an actual bike, any paintings on my walls, a Spurs season ticket (even though I like it when Spurs do well), a snooker table, a Bible (I lent mine to someone and never got it back), a blender (I did have one but didn't use it much and didn't much like it when I did so I sold it to a friend), a yacht, a space exploration company, or a collection of ornamental hippos. Just yesterday, I made the arrangements to get rid of my photocopier. I do have a personal blog, and also write for an impersonal blog (this one), but I use neither Twitter nor Facebook. Of none of these various things that I don't have or don't use does it make sense to say that I am "excluded" from them. I merely choose not to have or use these things, or, in the case of the rather expensive or inconvenient ones, I am put off by the money it would cost to buy or to accommodate them, and the effort that would be involved in acquiring the money to pay for such transformed personal arrangements. (I would really like a cat, but that would mean me getting a different home.)

Martha Lane Fox says that lots of EU citizens not being connected to the internet is "unacceptable". But instead of "not being connected", she says "excluded".

Speaking to The Telegraph, Lane Fox described the gap as "terrifying".

More quotation marks, signifying more ridiculousness. Evidently Martha Lane Fox is a women who is easily frightened. What on earth is so "terrifying" about people not using the internet? Not so long ago, nobody used the internet, because there was no internet. Life went on.

Martha Lane Fox is apparently something called the "UK Digital Champion". More sneer quotes there, this time from me. She was appointed this by Gordon Brown, and the current government carried on with this stupid arrangement. Should we perhaps start a series here, called something like: Public sector jobs that are stupid even by the usual standards of the public sector.

It all very much reminds me of this excellent posting here not long ago by Rob Fisher, in which he said, among various other wise things:

I imagine that libertarians are very much in the habit of questioning the deeper meaning of words.

This libertarian certainly is. The deeper meaning that Martha Lane Fox is in this case suffering from, and spreading, is the notion that Things Only Happen Because They Are Forced To Happen. I don't have a cat or a Kindle, and that must mean that someone or something or some combination of someones and somethings must have forced me not to have a cat or a Kindle, just as if a gun had been pointing at me. Therefore, if "we" (another portentously wrongheaded word) think that cats and Kindles are good (as is many ways they are good, especially cats) it would be good also if "we" were to change the forces now forcing themselves upon me, and force me instead to have a cat and a Kindle. No more force would be involved. The forces in play would merely have been rearranged a little.

I do not describe such ideas as "unacceptable". The title of this posting is ironic, despite its lack of sneer quotes. I must accept that many stupid people, such as Martha Lane Fox, are in the grip of these ideas, partly because of various words that rattle about in their heads for which they know no better alternatives, even if they might like to, and that as a result I and many others are subjected to force in circumstance where we ought not to be. But just as I choose not have a cat, so too I also choose not to think in this silly way myself.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario