jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2011

To the commentators

"In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action."

Source: "90-9-1? Rule for Participation Inequality: Lurker vs. Contributors in Internet Communities

With that in mind, this post is for the 10%.

You've taught me a huge amount by sharing your experiences of design, of the Internet, of life. You've kept me motivated. You've made me feel less like I'm sat at my desk working alone. In fact, I reckon there's a good chance I'd have quit publishing blog posts if it wasn't for your perspectives, suggestions, feedback, questions, answers. Quitting wouldn't have helped keep me in self-employment.

Some blogs don't have comment threads. Seth's blog and the johnson banks thought for the week to name just two. Others turn comments on and off depending on the post. I can understand why.

Blog comment count

I started blog publishing in 2006. At the time of writing, there are 20,193 comments across 589 posts on this blog, 11,108 across 361 posts on Logo Design Love, and 877 on 85 Identity Designed posts. A total of 32,178, and an average of 18 "approved" comments every day for five years. In addition to moderating, reading, and thinking about every comment that's submitted, I feel the urge to offer everyone a response, but I like to think you understand when I don't always have time.

So for all you've given me, and for all you've given countless others who continue to learn from the insights you've shared, here's to you, the 10%, the commentators.

Thank you.

A few interesting posts elsewhere about blog comments:

Commented Out, by Khoi Vinh
Why I don't have comments, by Seth Godin
All these comments will be lost in time, like tears in rain, by Daniel Gray
Kill Blog Comments? by Oliver Reichenstein

Logo Design Love, the book

Related posts on David Airey dot com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario